Thursday, December 3, 2009

Classroom Christmas Gifts

2009 TEACHERS' GIFT
It's that time of year again: to give a special Christmas gift to the kid's teachers. School teachers usually get dollar tree coffee cups filled with candy, pencil holders or rulers that say, "World's Greatest Teacher," or a picture of the child they see {everday} with a "thanks for being my teacher" note attached ~ and that's if they get a gift at all. Teachers are shaping the minds of our next generation. They should be thanked! So, I began my internet search and found this little idea at FamilyFun.go.com. *I love this website* It's always filled with great crafts, recipes and party ideas. This year's gift is cute, creative and, best of all, inexpensive! I already have some of the matierals needed and I think Angel and Alliah's teachers will be thrilled. Not only can they proudly walk out of the classroom with a beautiful gift, but they can display this bouquet at home showing their friends and family what a great teacher they are, AND they can eat the candy when Christmas is over! What a concept.

CANDY STICK VASE

Materials: Aluminum can, Candy, Double-sided foam mounting tape, Ribbon, Plastic cup

Instructions:
• To make one, first snugly wrap 3 or 4 rings of double-sided foam mounting tape around a clean, dry, and labelless aluminum can (ours was 15 ounces).
• Peel off the tape's protective covering to expose its second sticky side.
• One at a time, attach colorful individually wrapped candy sticks (available at candy shops; we used 26) to the tape, setting them as close together as possible and pressing them firmly in place.
• For a festive finish, tie a ribbon around the container. To use the vase for fresh flowers or plants, set a plastic cup inside the can as a liner before adding water.


2009 CLASSMATES GIFT
As for the kid's classmates, I found this idea of a Christmas mouse waiting to be eaten! All it is is felt, googly eyes, and a candy cane. I'm gonna skip the pom-pom nose. Why spend more money than I need to? I'll just make the nose out of the green felt, too. This is so easy, even the kids can help! What a great way to encourage my kids to show the Christmas Spirit by giving to those they spend most of their days with. I think these will be a classroom hit!

MERRY MICE
Materials: Red and green felt, Scissors, Glue, Pom-poms, Candy canes, Googly eyes, Tape

Instructions
• Cut a 6-inch-long teardrop-shaped body from red felt. Near the center, cut 2 parallel slits that are 1 inch long and 1/2 inch apart.
• For a pair of ears, cut a 5-inch-long rounded bow-tie shape from green felt. This will be used to make the ears.
• To put the mouse together, fit the ears through the slits in the body. Glue on googly eyes and a pom-pom nose.
• Finally, add a curly tail by slipping a candy cane beneath the mouse and tucking the straight end between the body and the ears to hold it in place.

...Only 22 more days!

No comments: