Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Made Me Laugh

All over the internet mother's are sharing how they are trying to teach their baby sign language. Because baby's have undeveloped verbal skills, moms and dads around the world are trying to teach their sons and daughters to be great communicators, even at an early age. At first I thought it was a great idea. Until I tried it. It's almost impossible to stop and calmly and delightfully say, "Hungry, hungry?" while holding my fingers up to my lips only to watch Grace look at me like I'm some kind of fool who eats her fingers. There's not enough time in the day! I've got dinners to cook, dishes to do, a house to clean, kids with homework, I work! So I saw this little blurb in one of the many baby/child e-newsletters I get and I've pasted it below. It matches my sentiments exactly.

Title: Your baby can learn sign language!

Here's how to say:
• "Please change my diaper": Turn beet red and make straining expression, then smile.
• "I'd like something to eat, please": Cram fist in mouth and suck wildly.
• "I'm tired": Make a series of weeping gestures before closing eyes and lolling head backward.
• "Please pass me that thing up there that I can't reach": Point and grunt, then continue pointing and open mouth into screaming position.
• "No thank you. I think I've had enough": Throw food or object to floor with exaggerated grin.

Oh, so true!

No comments: