Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Big Brother Blues

As I was stepping out of the shower this morning I heard a rustling going on. I heard the pitter patter of little feet running quickly down the stairs. Just as I grabbed my towel, I paused in silence. I heard the same pitter patter running UP the stairs. I stood, waiting for a sound from the mouth of one of my wonderfully behaved children. It was Alliah. Are we surprised? Anyway, I heard a screeching, whining voice say, "Angelllll, I told you a thousand times don't!!" this was followed by the laughter of a nine year old boy who'd just scared the bee-gee-bees out of his little sister. I don't know if he chased her with a spider or told her he had a dream about a headless mummy covered in blood, but I didn't ask. I stayed out of it! Angel has discovered the guilty pleasure of scaring his little sister half to death. He'll invite her to play with him upstairs in his room(at night) and then run downstairs leaving her all alone and shutting off the lights behind him. Or he'll wait until he hears Alliah singing in the shower, quietly open the door and turn off the light (at night). And yes, spine-shivering screaming is heard. I think the best he's ever got her is when we were all getting out of the car late one Wednesday night after church. Alliah is slow to get out of the car (unless she has to go to the bathroom) and is deathly afraid of raccoons. We have 2-5 raccoons that walk up and down our long driveway each night. On this particular night, Alliah was lolligagging to the door when Angel screamed "RACCOONS" in a "you-better-run" kinda voice. I have never seen Alliah run so fast. She hopped out of the car and started running to the front door crying and screaming, "Daddy, daddy, help me!" as if Godzilla himself was chasing her. Angel was laughing so hard he was holding his stomach, trying to stay standing up. We were all still outside on the porch (trying to find the house key in my wonderfully organized purse) and couldn't help but laugh at (1) Alliah for freaking out so bad and(2)at Angel laughing so hysterically. Once Alliah calmed down she gave Angel a piece of her mind and unwillingly retired to her bedroom. Needless to say, we said an extra long prayer that night so Alliah could sleep without thinking about the raccoons. Even though the kids go through all of this, I know Angel loves Alliah almost more than money. This is just a phase brothers and sisters go through. Oh, and no one can say anything bad about Alliah's big brother either. When other people are involved, they defend eachother like nobody's business. We stop the drama when things get out of hand (like when Dad joins forces with Angel), but sometimes it's just plain funny. I also know that there WILL BE a day that Alliah will be able to get Angel back for all of the pranks he's played on her.....like when they're in high school!

No comments: