Monday, February 8, 2010
Proverbs 31: Fact or Fiction
Yesterday was SuperBowl Sunday. My dad invited all of the men over his house to watch the game. No wives, no children were allowed. Larry was going over to my dad's house, so I invited all the wives and kids over to my house. We made GIANT baked potatoes, frito boats, had chocolate cake. We were all talking and laughing, watching the kids play. In the midst of our conversation I stated that I was so glad to hear that the Proverbs 31 woman didn't exist. My mother hit the ceiling! She couldn't believe I had said that. I explained to her that my pastor had shared that Proverbs 31 was a model taught to King Lemuel by HIS mother so he would know what kind of woman to look for in a wife. My mom disagreed arguably! I explained that I believed the Proverbs 31 woman to be a model to "attain to" but that I often felt intimidated by her. I further explained that it was like looking at a touched up picture of a perfectly shaped woman posted on a gym wall or a magazine cover. The perfect body does not exists, but we should take care of our bodies and try to look our best. We will never look like the photoshopped woman on the magazine cover, but we can be healthy and be physically active. No, the perfect body does not exist. And in my opinion, neither did the "Proverbs 31 Woman." Yes, I do agree that we need to try our best to be like her, but she is the model. In the bible, this woman has aged to perfection. She is healthy, wealthy, wise in managing finances, her husband is in politics and is respected by all, he leaves her to manage the home (and doesn't interfere which that alone is miraculous), she is well educated, has servants to help her, is a successful entrepeneur,makes her children's clothes (which I think she had help from the servants) and does everything else the perfect wife and mother would ever do. Not only that, but she does everything so well that her husband and children rise up and call her blessed. That last part I do agree can happen. I notice that the verse says her children "rise up" and call her blessed. I believe that to mean that as they have grown older. I believe my children will realize the sacrifices and appreciate all the love I have shown them MORE when they are older. When they "rise up" in age. Yes, my mother and I's conversation shook up the party, but I believe what I believe. After hearing that the Proverbs 31 woman was an 'Ideal' to attain, that there is not actually a person who did it, I didn't feel like such a failure. Hearing that made me WANT to try to be that person. I always felt like I was coming up short when trying to measure up. My mom still doesn't agree with me, but that's okay! I love her and she loves me. We can't agree on everything. So, in closing, I will strive harder to be all those things that the Proverbs 31 woman depicts. But if I don't make it, if I fall short on a few of those traits, that's okay, too. Thank God for His grace and mercy...and the opportunity to always try again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
lol sure did rattle the boat..but I thought I was the Proverbs woman ...or at least working towards it ..I'm glad too that it is someone to model our life after because all that cothing making, and selling and rising early is hard work..i think your a pretty terrific mommie!!!
Post a Comment